Re: [Orgmode] Re: R: WISH: separate org-mode customization file

From: Harri Kiiskinen
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: R: WISH: separate org-mode customization file
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 13:57:19 +0200

Eddward DeVilla wrote:
On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Harri Kiiskinen <address@hidden> wrote:
Thank you all for the answers, but it seems that I was not quite clear
enough. I'm quite able to set the 'custom-file' to whatever I want, and
I can (load "myconfig.el") - which is what I currently do. Lets restate
the problem:

1. I cannot and do not want to share _all_ customizations, since many of
them are system specific - absolute paths, modes which function on Linux
but not on XP (e.g. whizzy-tex), face settings etc.
2. I want to share org-mode customization, which is system independent,
in my case. This I can do with (load "myconfig.el"), but the file has to
be edited by hand, as the Emacs Customize for org-mode saves everything
where 'custom-file' points to.
3. If I set 'custom-file' to "myconfig.el", then I contradict no. 1.

Sorry for not responding sooner.  I've had init split
(http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/InitSplit) suggested to me for
the same problem.  The thread might be in the archive.  I haven't had
a chance to set this up yet, so I can say if it is really usable.

Edd

Thanks all,

InitSplit did just the trick I was looking for.

As the documentation of it is quite bad, I'll include my current setup as an usage example, just in case someone else is interested.

from .emacs:
---

(load "initsplit")
(load "~/emacs_customs/font-latex")
(load "~/emacs_customs/bibtex")
(load "~/emacs_customs/org")

(custom-set-variables
;; This you can do with customize:
;; M-x customize-variable initsplit-customizations-alist
'(initsplit-customizations-alist (quote (("org-" "~/emacs_customs/org.el" t) ("bibtex-" "~/emacs_customs/bibtex.el" t) ("font-latex-" "~/emacs_customs/font-latex.el" t))))
)

---

The code can be abstracted more, but then it gets unclear to beginners like me...

Best Wishes,

Harri K.