Re: [Orgmode] Re: R: WISH: separate org-mode customization file

From: John Rakestraw
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: R: WISH: separate org-mode customization file
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16:26:21 -0400

Hi Harri --

> So I'm suggesting a new variable like 'org-custom-file' or something,
> which is used to save only the customization for org-mode. Something
> like Mew already does. I think this would be logical also, because
> org-mode by definition has lots of customizations, which are not only
> options affecting its behaviour on the current system, but are the
> base for its use. To put it in other words, many of the other Emacs
> modes function without any specific customizations, but org-mode is
> hardly functional without your own tags, remember template
> definitions, agenda file lists etc. In that sense, the customization
> data is more closely linked to the actual org-files than than the
> specific instance of Emacs on a particular system, and therefore it
> would be logical to have it in a separate file.

I should say that I'm not an emacs guru, and that there are likely
others here who have a better way of doing this than what I'm about to
suggest. But I did something like it a couple of years ago when I was
running emacs on Linux at home and on Windows at work. I'm now on Linux
both places, so I've moved on. I no longer have the config files I
used, but I can still describe the basics of what I did:

--I had a basic .emacs file that began by loading the .emacs config
stuff common to both linux and windows.

--.emacs then tested for the system name of the machine I was on (I
think it was the variable "system-name"). If the name returned was that
of the Windows machine, then .emacs loaded something
like .emacs_windows. If it was the name of the linux machine, it
loaded .emacs_linux.

--As you'd guess, .emacs_windows included the system-specific emacs
configuration for the windows machine. .emacs_linux included the
system-specific information for the linux machine.

--I still have my org-specific config stuff org-init.el. You could do
that, and have it called next by .emacs.

--I didn't do this, but you could set the customization variable so
that customize settings are dropped into my.config.el. Your
common .emacs file could load this file.

Others might have a better way, but this worked fine for me as long as
I was on the two different systems.

Hope that helps.

--
John Rakestraw