[Emacs-orgmode] Attention XEmacs users

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Emacs-orgmode] Attention XEmacs users
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:54:13 +0200

If you are using XEmacs to run org-mode, the following is important for you:

Starting with the next release of Org-mode (4.38, only a few days away), Org-mode will require the use of noutline.el, a new implementation of outline mode on which Org-mode is based. This new implementation uses text overlays with invisibility properties to hide text. This new implementation is already standard on GNU Emacs, so nothing needs to be done if you are using GNU Emacs.

XEmacs currently still uses the old implementation which is based on selective display to hide text. This works great, but is much harder to program for. Since there is now a port of noutline.el for XEmacs which seems to work stably, I will enforce using it, to make things much easier for the Org-mode side, and thus for me. Therefore, starting with the next version of Org-mode you need to install noutline.el. In the near future, I will slowly but surely remove the code needed for compatibility with the old outline.el.

The only way to keep me from doing what I just said is to download noutline.el *now*, test it and report problems with it or with the combination noutline/Org-mode.

You may download it at

   http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/noutline.el

and install it in the usual way: byte-compile it, put both noutline.el and noutline.elc on your load path. And put (for now) (require 'noutline) somewhere early into your .xemacs/init.el file.

Thanks for your understanding.

- Carsten

P.S. All credit for noutline.el for XEmacs goes to Greg Chernev for porting it and allowing me to make it available. Thanks Greg!

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam