emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112522: * lisp/progmodes/ruby-mo

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112522: * lisp/progmodes/ruby-mode.el: First cut at SMIE support.
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 05:59:00 +0400

On 23.05.2013 5:24, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Having ruby.rb indented according to the default settings and test any
alternative settings via ERT sounds fine, except we now have two indentation
engines, after all, and ideally we'd like to test all indentation cases in
both of them, automatically.

No, there is only one correct indentation and both engines should find it.

I just meant it would be nice to automatically test the whole of ruby.rb with both ruby-use-smie on and off. With otherwise default settings.

Also only one engine is important at any given time (if/when the SMIE
code becomes good enough, it will make the other one obsolete).

Ah, okay. If you think testing the non-important engine is not important, I'm not going to argue.

For bonus points, we could delineate test.rb with comments in some special
way, so that we can have multiple tests "coexist" in it (by being able to
refer and test just one part).

FWIW, the need for such things will largely depend on how configurable
the indentation is.  For cc-mode's hellish configurability there's
probably a need for something serious, but for most modes I didn't find
much need for such details.  In many other cases you can get away with
just setting the indentation vars to "unusual values" in the file-local
vars so that it's obvious enough whether that value is obeyed.

So, you prefer the multi-file approach over delineating the one file? I think they're more or less equivalent, only you're forced to have more files open when debugging.

By "cases", I mean just different situations here, not different indentation settings. Like currently, we have a bunch of separate `ruby-should-indent-buffer' automated tests, ported from the Ruby repository.

If I were to make a blunder in the code that breaks, say, all of them, seeing separate diffs for each case should be easier to comprehend than the big summary diff for one big file. Naming tests helps, too.