emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112522: * lisp/progmodes/ruby-mo

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112522: * lisp/progmodes/ruby-mode.el: First cut at SMIE support.
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 17:58:09 -0400

> Huh, I didn't know that.  I don't think there can be a way to do the same for
> syntax highlighting, though.

No, indeed.  It does mostly work to test the syntax-ppss behavior, tho,
because a bug in it will typically cause bugs in indentation as well.
IOW it does largely test syntax-table and syntax-propertize, but it
doesn't test the font-lock-keywords part.

We could potentially test it by calling htmlfontify-buffer.

> Speaking of SMIE and indentation, though, don't you find it inconvenient
> that to run the tests with it enabled, you have to put (setq ruby-use-smie
> t) in your init file, and then maybe remove it later and rerun the tests, to
> see that some changes did't break anything in the default algorithm?

No, I just do something like

     make ruby.rb.test EMACS="emacs -Q --eval '(setq ruby-use-smie t)'"

> ruby-mode also has customization variables that change indentation behavior
> (at least one, for now, and we should add more). How do you propose to
> test that?

Indeed, that's a widespread limitation with the current system.

        Stefan