Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 7

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 72
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:04:29 -0600

Hello Po,

My point was that the circumstances of this change demonstrate that
December's debacle was completely lost on the parties involved.  It
should have taught us (again) that users do not take kindly to being
surprised by arbitrary choices a handful of individuals decide to
implement that they were not consulted about, yet within two months of
the event a much more wide-reaching change is installed in an identical
manner, of which criticism is met by an ultimatum to either complete a
task that stands little chance of success (designing and securing the
universal adoption of a new doc string format), or accept the change as
a fact of life.

I don't think these two things are comparable. The change to register commands affected users' workflows, i.e. the keypresses they make by habit after many years of usage. Having a change like that appear suddenly is kind of like finding a new pothole in a road one travels every day (although one that shouldn't require a paving machine to fix, being Emacs).

Having symbol docstrings be 8 characters wider will probably not affect many users negatively. I'm sure there are a few who have their windows precisely limited to the necessary width; if possible, it would be good to make it easy for them to keep such configuration with pleasant results. But should that keep the docstrings at 64 characters wide forever?

And are we to vote on such changes across the whole user population? This seems like the kind of change that the maintainers are to make using their best judgment.

I trust many people will agree with me that increasing this variable
from 64 to 72 is an exclusively aesthetic change, driven by personal
opinions formed towards the appearance of doc strings, and perhaps in
the belief that a lack of change is likely to be perceived as
stagnation.  In truth, there has been _nothing_ to suggest that the
width of doc strings has inconvenienced our users in any manner, and
likewise none to suggest widening it will bring about an indispensable
improvement.

I don't agree. While I don't feel strongly either way, as one who frequently writes new docstrings, the arbitrary limit is felt. One often must resort to awkward wording or abbreviated variable names to fit within it. And if one doesn't do so, one can't get a clean linting pass. Meanwhile, any window in my Emacs sessions that displays a help buffer has many columns of blank space to the right of the docstrings. And the existing limit is far from being too wide to be read comfortably.

As December's affair should have demonstrated, such arbitrary actions,
when normalized, give rise to a neurotic user-base constantly at each
other's throats, apprehensive of the next update to Emacs which might
break their configurations or interfere with their habits in new and
unseen ways, and belligerent in their defense of their existing
practices and preferences.  I mean this literally--Eshel Yaron's blog
post being one example, numerous others exist also, such as the sea of
acrimony formed on Reddit in response to a package developer's request
not to use Emacs 30, which was not so much related to Emacs as it was a
collection of accusations of rudeness, immaturity, and bitter general
faultfinding, or the hostility that radiates from every discussion on
the subject of better or worse defaults, compilation failures induced by
updating to new versions of Emacs, and the like.  Worse yet, I can sense
myself warming to them by the hour.

I'm not sure how to interpret your characterization of the thread I posted on Reddit. For the record, I was not being critical of the Emacs development process; I was suggesting to users that, unless they want to actively participate in the Emacs development process (i.e. by faithfully reporting bugs that are discovered in unreleased versions), they should use released versions of Emacs; and that they should definitely use only released versions of Emacs when reporting bugs to package developers, because otherwise I can't try to reproduce the reported problems without running such an unreleased version myself.

Then, as usual, the discussion went its own way, largely misinterpreting my initial comment, but that's Reddit (and life).

As for Info and "many other things", they are not doc strings, and
should not be factors in decisions regarding them.

They seem somewhat comparable in that they are displayed similarly in Emacs buffers and are wrapped to a certain width. One could ask why their appearances shouldn't be more consistent.

--Adam