Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 20:26:58 +0300

> From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 13:16:40 -0400
> Cc: casouri@gmail.com, danny@dfreeman.email, joaotavora@gmail.com,
>       dmitry@gutov.dev, rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Sun, Sep 3, 2023 at 1:02 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > > From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
> > > Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 12:53:11 -0400

> > > So, does RMS not speak for the project?
> >
> > Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.  Like all of us: sometimes we
> > just express a non-obligatory opinions, sometimes we describe a
> > decision made for the project as a whole.  There's no one answer; you
> > need to read the fine print.
> >
> > > Am I misreading his message:
> > > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-08/msg01063.html ?
> >
> > If you think he was saying we will necessarily call our mode
> > clojure-mode, then yes, I believe you are misreading it.  From where I
> > stand, Richard was describing a way to avoid a name conflict.
>
> I was rebutting the phrase "suggested anything like that" above.

Why would you?  What good would it make?

Please let Stefan and myself decide the policy in these matters here.
It's what we are here for.  If we happen to disagree with Richard, we
will work with him to solve the disagreement.

> But it seemed to me RMS was suggesting a broader principle of not
> allowing external projects to dictate decisions in GNU projects, so
> I'm not really clear that he wasn't speaking for GNU Emacs as part of
> that.

I happen to agree with Richard on the broader principle, but that
doesn't mean the principle gets automatically applied in any
particular case.