Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 20:02:20 +0300

> From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 12:53:11 -0400
> Cc: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>, danny@dfreeman.email, joaotavora@gmail.com,
>       dmitry@gutov.dev, rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > No one who speaks for the project suggested anything like that.  It's
> > a non-issue.
> >
> So, does RMS not speak for the project?

Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.  Like all of us: sometimes we
just express a non-obligatory opinions, sometimes we describe a
decision made for the project as a whole.  There's no one answer; you
need to read the fine print.

> Am I misreading his message:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-08/msg01063.html ?

If you think he was saying we will necessarily call our mode
clojure-mode, then yes, I believe you are misreading it.  From where I
stand, Richard was describing a way to avoid a name conflict.

In any case, whatever decision is made (and we didn't yet decide to
have our own mode for Clojure), it will have to be agreed upon by
Stefan and myself.

> It would be better if there were some policy statement in the emacs or
> elisp manual regarding library and package naming practices, though.

Taking into consideration how seriously our recommendations for
package names are followed (yeah, right), I very much doubt that we
should spend time and energy on formulating policy that no one will
follow.  We have much more serious and useful tasks to accomplish,
where we have a much better control on the outcome.