Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 00:08:38 +0200

tomas wrote:

>> Maybe we can use SBCL to compile Elisp, and after that
>> integrate it into Emacs [...]
>
> - https://www.cliki.net/CL-Emacs

It says:

  Also includes an elisp emulation package from
  Ingvar Mattsson: note that this is not the same as the CLOCC
  package below [...]

  CLOCC contains a package (elisp.lisp) that implements some
  part of elisp in CL.Also includes an elisp emulation package
  from Ingvar Mattsson: note that this is not the same as the
  CLOCC package below

Sounds cool (probably a cool guy, Ingvar Mattson BTW) however
changing software altogether because Elisp is slow, maybe
that's to burn down the house to kill the rats.

I am aware of Emacs forks as well as other implementations
altogether but then the problem arises everyone still wants to
use familiar software, e.g. Gnus, Emacs-w3m, ERC ...

But maybe one could integrate parts of that solution into
Emacs to have the cake and eat it as well. Is the CL in
CL-Emacs as fast as compiled CL from SBCL?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal