Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 05:22:45 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:

> There are occasiona when it is useful, for added
> flexibility, to move some function from C to Lisp. However,
> stability is an important goal for Emacs, so we should not
> even try to move large amounts of code to Lisp just for the
> sake of moving code to Lisp.

It is just cool that Emacs is written in two languages, it is
like to continents or something connected by bridges
overlapping certain areas.

Maybe we can use SBCL to compile Elisp, and after that
integrate it into Emacs so you would be able to run all old
Elisp without changing the code, only now it would in fact be
Common Lisp implementing Elisp, i.e. the opposite of our
cl-lib (`cl-loop' etc).

Maybe some normalization efforts would have to be done to the
syntax here and there as preparatory steps ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal