Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 17:58:17 +0200

Ihor Radchenko wrote:

>> Maybe we can use SBCL to compile Elisp, and after that
>> integrate it into Emacs so you would be able to run all old
>> Elisp without changing the code, only now it would in fact
>> be Common Lisp implementing Elisp, i.e. the opposite of our
>> cl-lib (`cl-loop' etc).
>
> You would at least need to convert between internal object
> representation in Elisp and CL.

But why is CL so much faster to begin with?

> Not to mention many other non-obvious problems arising from
> subtle differences in the function behavior.

Maybe one can fork SBCL into SBCL-E first and adapt it from
there since everything that involves changing existing Elisp
code, be it syntax or semantics, would be very impractical.

And we are also not unhappy with Elisp as a langauge, we just
want it to be faster, so what we need to do is discover and
extract the secrets of compiling Lisp into really fast
software, which we now have identified as being held by
SBCL ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal