Re: Grammar checking

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Grammar checking
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:29:46 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I am using it in real-life scenarios for authoring.
>> LanguageTool the most sophisticated Libre grammar checker around, AFAIK.
>
> That's not enough, IMO.  It should be good in absolute terms, not in
> relative terms.

Well. It is hard for me to judge in absolute terms. I can only compare
with my own grammar checking by hand (Langtool is better), with feedback
from others (no significant issues after using Langtool; but it does not
tell much), and with Grammarly (it was still able to find some valid
issues after Langtool). What would be the absolute benchmark to test
"how good is Langtool"?

>> It is not ideal and certainly miss various mistakes in comparison with
>> proprietary tools like Grammarly, but still much, much better than ispell
>> and other Libre grammar/style checkers I tried.
>
> Comparing grammar checking with spell-checking is not useful.  They
> are different technologies that are almost orthogonal.  Grammar
> checking can find spelling mistakes only by sheer luck, and the
> reverse is not possible even by luck.

Some style checkers claimed grammar checking as well, AFAIR. But
I do not recall obvious libre alternatives to Langtool, which are also
focused on grammar.

>> That said, I had some success feeding buffer text to LanguageTool
>> asynchronously - paragraph by paragraph.
>
> Feeding by paragraphs should be good enough, if it takes a few
> seconds.

Depending on the size of the paragraph it may or may not fit. Though
using Langtool web server (can be run locally) should save the startup
lag.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,