Re: Unboxed package manager

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Unboxed package manager
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 08:29:43 +0100

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 07:29:51PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:20:41 +0000
> > From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> > cc: owinebar@gmail.com, casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > > Yes: load each package with an explicit absolute file name, without
> > > relying on load-path search.
> > >

> > Of course 😉  But by "doing better" I meant "to improve the way Emacs uses
> > load-path in such cases".
>
> Why try to solve a problem if it can be avoided altogether?
>
> > Likely with some kind of cache.
>
> A cache will not necessarily help, and you will pay the price of
> searching it at least once.  It should be clear that enlarging the
> length of load-path is not scalable, unless we make it a hash-table of
> sorts.  And I'm not sure we want this kind of complexity for such a
> hilariously marginal use case.

I agree 100%. A cache is not free (performance wise, but also, more
importantly bug wise). You'd make the overwhelming majority of users
pay that price for a corner case which, again, in its vast majority
would translate to "well, don't do that, then".

This might change if our landscape changed radically, but: are we
there yet?

Cheers