Re: Unboxed package manager

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Unboxed package manager
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 18:44:32 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> As I already said: you can simply load each package by its explicit
> absolute name.  Poof! problem disappeared.

So, the use case is managing packages in your .emacs over time.  As you
collect packages over time (job changes, etc.), the list of packages
grows (laziness might lead to keeping more than you need).  Also, packages
will get updated (perhaps, automatically via auto-package-update).
Constantly updating package absolute names is rife for mistake.

Perhaps (say) use-package could be adjusted to handle this via a
persistent index of '(pkgname . abs-pathname)' items. Some init function
could load the persistent index. Use-package would then use the index to
find the package directly. If the abs-pathname no longer exists,
use-package can try via load-path and update the persistent index
accordingly for next time.

Possible?

--
David Masterson