Re: tramp "too many open files" [Re: bug#56606

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp "too many open files" [Re: bug#56606
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 18:56:35 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Thierry,

>> There are two ways to disable tramp-archive.el:
>>
>> - Set or bind tramp-archive-enabled to nil.
>
> I know but it is not enough in some cases. I think it should be up to
> the user to set this, however it is already set and autoloaded in
> tramp-archive.el:
>
>     (defvar tramp-archive-enabled (featurep 'dbusbind)
>       "Non-nil when file archive support is available.")

And this is intended. After loading tramp-archive, we have

(setq tramp-archive-enabled tramp-gvfs-enabled)

which is less invasive, I hope.

>> - Avoid file names like "/path/to/file.tar/". The combination of a known
>>   extension with a slash triggers tramp-archive.el. Usually, it is an
>>   error to specify such a file name, if not intended.
>
> Agree, but we sometimes get files from elsewhere with such filenames, of
> course I never name my files/dirs like this.
> Anyway I think tramp-archive should not kick in with such filenames or
> any filenames unless user wants it.

I do my best to bring external packages to proper coding.

And also, tramp-archive-file-name-handler checks in case of a file name
"/path/to/file.tar/", whether "/path/to/file.tar" is a directory. In
this case, tramp-archive also ceases to work.

There's always room for improvement. But disabling tramp-enabled by
default would mean we could get rid of the package, because it wouldn't
be visible any longer. It is a core package, after all.

But let's see what's the case with mew. That's what this bug report is
about.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.