Re: tramp "too many open files" [Re: bug#56606

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: tramp "too many open files" [Re: bug#56606
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:57:56 +0000

Hi Michael,

> Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net> writes:
>
> Hi Thierry,
>
>> From the Helm help:
>>
>> As Tramp archive often crash Helm and Emacs, Helm does its best
>> to disable it, however it is hard to do so as Tramp Archive is
>> enabled inconditionally in Emacs.  Here I build my Emacs
>> without-dbus to ensure Tramp archive wont kickin unexpectedly.
>
> There are two ways to disable tramp-archive.el:
>
> - Set or bind tramp-archive-enabled to nil.

I know but it is not enough in some cases. I think it should be up to
the user to set this, however it is already set and autoloaded in
tramp-archive.el:

    (defvar tramp-archive-enabled (featurep 'dbusbind)
      "Non-nil when file archive support is available.")

> - Avoid file names like "/path/to/file.tar/". The combination of a known
>   extension with a slash triggers tramp-archive.el. Usually, it is an
>   error to specify such a file name, if not intended.

Agree, but we sometimes get files from elsewhere with such filenames, of
course I never name my files/dirs like this.
Anyway I think tramp-archive should not kick in with such filenames or
any filenames unless user wants it.

Thanks.

--
Thierry