Re: python-mode: Why python-interpreter defaults to "python" instead of

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: python-mode: Why python-interpreter defaults to "python" instead of looking for python/python3
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 01:45:48 +0700

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 at 01:18, Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to understand why python-is-python3 is not installed by
> default nowadays.  It is in Fedora, for instance.

As far as I understand, Debian is trying to provide a very gentle
transition period for users, and enforces explicit python versioning
in all its packages. It also encourages developers to specify
explicitly python2 or python3 by not shipping the /usr/bin/python link
by default (except for upgrades from older distro versions).

Maybe one day we can say there is only one Python version. But today
is not that  day.