Re: python-mode: Why python-interpreter defaults to "python" instead of

From: Martín Fernández
Subject: Re: python-mode: Why python-interpreter defaults to "python" instead of looking for python/python3
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 11:29:28 -0300

On 3/16/23, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
> Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi again Martín,

>> Can you expand a bit on why you think so?  I just noticed that Debian
>> doesn't provide a `python' command by default, so indeed some logic
>> might be needed.

I think because it's already done for the interpreter variable, why is
that different? And yes, I'm a debian user, and `python` runs python2.
So yes, it's consistency and convince (for me).

But to be honest, the more I think about it, the more I think that it
should be set on a per project basis. But again, then I would remove
the logic on the interpreter variable and just default to "python", as
you mentioned.

What do you think? Do you know what the history is for the logic on
the interpreter variable and why it wasn't implemented on the cmdline
variable?

> That depends on your version.  According to [0], Debian 11 has a package
> called "python2-is-python" that just create a symlink between python and
> python2.  This has been removed with Debian 12, now you'd have to
> install python-is-python3 to have python symlink'ed to python3.
>
> [0] https://wiki.debian.org/Python/FAQ#Python_2_support

Oh I didn't know that! Thank you!