Re: Landing feature/more-fds for Emacs 30?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Landing feature/more-fds for Emacs 30?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 18:37:48 +0100

    João> Hi Elliott,
    João> On Tue, Mar 14, 2023, 16:10 Elliott Shugerman <eeshugerman@gmail.com>
wrote:

    >> I work on a large codebase with LSP and used to run into the "too many
    >> open files" error all the time unless I disabled desired functionality or
    >> gave up native-comp. Now, with this patch, not only is that issue gone
    >> entirely, but I find Emacs is generally more responsive and stable on
macOS.

    João> What LSP server are you using? Is it perhaps requesting many file
watchers?
    João> Or maybe the client is overwatching on the Emacs side (what client
are you
    João> using?). Do you have a JSONRPC transcript that you can share with me?

Itʼs a macOS thing: file watching there uses a file descriptor
per-file, unlike Linux, which uses one per-directory.

Robert