Landing feature/more-fds for Emacs 30?

From: Elliott Shugerman
Subject: Landing feature/more-fds for Emacs 30?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 12:09:37 -0400

Hi,

(Context: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-05/msg00115.html)

I've been running this patch (rebased on emacs-29) on macOS ever since we added it to homebrew-emacs-plus (off by default) a few months back. It's made a huge difference for me!

I work on a large codebase with LSP and used to run into the "too many open files" error all the time unless I disabled desired functionality or gave up native-comp. Now, with this patch, not only is that issue gone entirely, but I find Emacs is generally more responsive and stable on macOS.

More recently I installed this patch on my GNU/Linux box as well and have noticed no differences at all there (which is good/expected because I've only ever run into such issues on macOS, in part because I make heavier use of it these days (reluctantly), but also due to technical differences IIUC).

Anyway, that's all to say, thanks for this patch! And... can it be merged now that emacs-29 is cut? :)

Best,
Elliott