Re: Landing feature/more-fds for Emacs 30?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Landing feature/more-fds for Emacs 30?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:08:25 +0100

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-05/msg00115.html)

    Elliott> I've been running this patch (rebased on emacs-29) on macOS ever
since we added
    Elliott> it to homebrew-emacs-plus
    Elliott> <https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus/pull/510> (off
by
    Elliott> default) a few months back. It's made a huge difference for me!

    Elliott> I work on a large codebase with LSP and used to run into the "too
many open
    Elliott> files" error all the time unless I disabled desired functionality
or gave
    Elliott> up native-comp. Now, with this patch, not only is that issue gone
entirely,
    Elliott> but I find Emacs is generally more responsive and stable on macOS.

Thatʼs good to know. Iʼve not had a great deal of feedback on it.

    Elliott> More recently I installed this patch on my GNU/Linux box as well
and have
    Elliott> noticed no differences at all there (which is good/expected
because I've
    Elliott> only ever run into such issues on macOS, in part because I make
heavier use
    Elliott> of it these days (reluctantly), but also due to technical
differences IIUC).

The issue tends to happen when you have file notification turned on,
and the Linux kernel implementation of that scales better than the
macOS one (unless we switch to the new macOS notification api, but we
already have 3 different ones...)

    Elliott> Anyway, that's all to say, thanks for this patch! And... can it be
merged
    Elliott> now that emacs-29 is cut? :)

Not as is. There are a number of other parts of Emacs that need
adapting to the possibility if having >1024 open filedescriptors. I
have most of that done, but as usual Real Life™ interferes.

Iʼll see if I can schedule some time to finish it off. After all,
Emacs 30 needs some changes that can cause instability in fundamental
code ;-)

Robert