Re: call-interactively behavior

From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
Subject: Re: call-interactively behavior
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 19:16:27 +0100

Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) [2023-03-10 at 07:38] wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to use call-interactively using the following code:

#+begin_src (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "hippie-test")
  (setq-local hippie-expand-try-functions-list
              '(try-complete-file-name-partially
                try-complete-file-name))
  (text-mode)
  (use-local-map (copy-keymap text-mode-map))
  (local-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'hippie-expand)

  (insert "~/D")
  (call-interactively (key-binding (kbd "TAB")))
  (call-interactively (key-binding (kbd "TAB")))
  (call-interactively (key-binding (kbd "TAB"))))
#+end_src

In my home root, there are 3 directoriess: ~/Desktop, ~/Downloads and ~/Documents.

When I execute the code above, the final content in the buffer is:
~/Desktop/../../

If I switch to the buffer, insert "~/D" and hit tab three times, I cycle over the three directories above, which is the expected behavior. My question is thus: why I don't get the same behavior and what would be the proper way to simulate the tab key press (or any other key)?

Nicolas

Partially answering my question, it seems that evaluating repeatedly the code works but it is not clear why. Maybe some events need to be flushed?

#+begin_src
(with-current-buffer "hippie-test"
 (call-interactively (key-binding (kbd "TAB"))))
#+end_sc

Nicolas

--
Nicolas P. Rougier —— www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier
Institute of Neurodegenerative Diseases, Bordeaux