Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's ma

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's manual
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:03:16 +0000

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023, 15:52 Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 at 22:27, João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK.  So if someone puts this function elsewhere and Eglot
> can take advantage, that's fine and dandy.  Where would you
> put a  dotted-settings-to-plist function?

I do not know if I would at all. As I said, it is an informal
convention. It skirts a number of corner cases, and as soon as you try
to build a sound implementation, you are forced to address those,
which breeds incompatible dialects.

(As a few examples, on the first sight, it looks as if the dotted path
is a dot-separated concatenation of unquoted object keys going from
the root object. What do you do if one of the keys contains a dot? a
space? What if one of the keys being traversed is an empty string?
What if you need to traverse an array?)

Right, i see your point. Then I'd say again that it maybe belongs in Eglot because -- presumably -- LSP options objects don't incur in those edge cases.

I just expect people to be able to read
‘rust-analyzer.assist.emitMustUse (default: false)’ in documentation
and write

    {
      "rust-analyzer": {
        "assist": {
          "emitMustUse": true
        }
      }
    }

in a JSON config or

    rust-analyzer:
      assist:
        emitMustUse: true

in YAML.

Indeed.  And why not a plist, since we're in lisp land? :)

João