Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:32:57 -0400

>> Some additional byte compilation happens at package install time.

[ BTW, In Rob's case, we're talking about installation via Debian's
  `dpkg`, i.e. system-wide installation of ELisp packages, which also
  causes the .el files to be byte-compiled for&by the currently installed
  Emacs binary.  ]

> This is what I'm asking about: what exactly triggers the compilation?
> Just installing a package shouldn't do that, only loading it into
> Emacs should.

Byte-compilation does load files (not the one being compiled, but many
others, starting with `bytecomp` of course), so it can trigger
native-compilation of some files (including some of the files being
byte-compiled, if they `require` each other, which is very common).

        Stefan