Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 08:56:30 +0300

> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
> Cc: rlb@defaultvalue.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 21:32:13 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Yes `native-comp-deferred-compilation' AFAIK does exactly this already,
> >> `native-comp-available-p' is to check if the native compiler is
> >> available (not necessarily the deferred/async mechanism).
> >
> > But then it should disable the trampolines as well, see startup.el.
>
> Not in my opinion, trampolines are not deferred async compilation.
>
> Also as mentioned ATM is not possible to disable trampolines and have a
> fully working native comp Emacs (if we assume primitives can be
> redefined).

I'm confused.  I alluded to this part of startup.el:

    (when (featurep 'native-compile)
      (unless (native-comp-available-p)
        ;; Disable deferred async compilation and trampoline synthesis
        ;; in this session.  This is necessary if libgccjit is not
        ;; available on MS-Windows, but Emacs was built with
        ;; native-compilation support.
        (setq native-comp-deferred-compilation nil
              comp-enable-subr-trampolines nil))

The last part disables trampolines, AFAIU.  So what am I missing here?