Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:38:15 -0400

David Bremner [2022-09-30 10:13:56] wrote:
> I think just turning off native compilation when HOME is not writeable
> would be sensible from a Debian point of view. Emacs did not previously

That's not the problem: the problem is when $HOME is writable but doesn't
belong to the user (e.g. because the user is root): then Emacs ends up
writing files (and creating directories) which then end up being
"unwritable" by the owner of $HOME.

IIUC this happens very "naturally" with `su` followed by running Emacs,
because many version of `su` (contrary to `su -`) preserve the $LOGNAME
and Emacs uses ~$LOGNAME as "the HOME" (instead of $HOME) when run
as root.

        Stefan