Re: Supporting stylistic sets

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: Supporting stylistic sets
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 14:12:57 +0530

[சனி செப்டம்பர் 24, 2022] Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I'm not talking about changing the existing faces, I'm talking about
> the above proposal to use propertize.  That is exactly equivalent to
> putting a named text property on the text, isn't it?  IOW, the text
> property you use to request stylistic variants doesn't have to be
> 'face', it can be some other property specifically designed for this
> purpose.

Yes, it isn't different but my point was that introducing stylistic sets
as a face attribute is more desirable than just having a text property.
Using a face attribute means we do not need to rewrite/add code to use
stylistic sets in certain cases, it is a matter of customisation.  IOW,
I am not saying that we should only have a face attribute.

> Using faces for this introduces complications and performance aspects
> that we had better avoided, unless we really must have this as part of
> a face.

See above.  Hopefully, I made my point clear.