Re: Memory problems update

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: Memory problems update
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 22:57:41 +0100

On Fri, Sep 23 2022, Jose A Ortega Ruiz wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23 2022, Po Lu wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Unfortunately, the situation with the pgtk build has not improved at
>>> all.  I actually think it's gone worse since i last tried: a pgtk emacs
>>> running in wayland (i've tried with sway and river) goes up to a 2Gb
>>> footprint in just a couple hours of use (and shows no sign of stopping).
>>> So there i stick to tty emacs in kitty or foot (BTW, i think the bug fix
>>> you mention above also affected tty emacs, because it's also consuming
>>> around 25% less memory than it used to).
>>
>> That's quite odd, but I suspect a memory fragmentation issue if you have
>> lots of frames (or child frames) and frequently resize them.
>
> Turns out i almost never open more than one frame in graphic mode (i use
> window configurations to switcht between "workspaces", saved from
> registers, and the only emacs frame is typically maximized in a tiling
> compositor) [1].
>
>> What if you turn off all packages that utilize child frames?
>
> I don't think i use any child frame either, with the exception of
> corfu's. I'll try with company instead (or with old good standard
> completion) and report back.

Corfu seems indeed to be the cause of the leaks: they go away without
it, and memory seems to stabilise in pgtk/wayland around the same mark
as in X11 (at least for the first day of continuous usage).

I've tried to reproduce the problem in an emacs -Q just creating child
frames and deleting them in a loop, but that's not enough: i guess one
of the reasons is that such a loop fails to introduce fragmentation, and
another might be that corfu uses its child frames as pop-ups (for
completion candidates), and there's quite a bit of additional set up for
them, including several "XXX Hack" comments that might point to
non-standard uses of the API (the package is in gnu elpa, in case you
are curious).

Seems more of an issue for corfu's bug tracker than emacs's, but let me
know if you think otherwise.

Many thanks for your advice, it's a big relief to have back a well
behaved emacs!

Cheers,
jao
--
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the
essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,