Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 06:56:23 +0100

On Fri, Sep 09 2022, Po Lu wrote:

> Jose A Ortega Ruiz <jao@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> fwiw, as the OP, no, that's not the original use-case i had in mind,
>> only part of it.  i want also to be able to display images in documents
>> rendered by eww, or by chat clients such as telega or circe that have
>> excellent support for it.  i'd also like to use image dired in these
>> kind of terminals.  in fact, i almost never use a pure tty or the
>> console.  what this would allow me is to have the same functionality
>> working at once in X11 and Wayland without suffering the complexities of
>> more heavy-weight graphical libraries and toolkits.
>
> I'm going to bet that any terminal emulator that displays images will be
> more heavyweight than Emacs on X --with-x-toolkit=no.

well, and i'm going to be that, in wayland, the terminal emulator with
images is going to consume less than half the memory of the pgtk
build...  but if we never try, we'll never know.

jao
--
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying
things against one behind one’s back that are absolutely and entirely