Re: Progress on merging Eglot?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Progress on merging Eglot?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 17:59:00 +0100

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 5:54 PM Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> wrote:
João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

> No, that wasn't it.  It probably worked for you because your script clones
> a fresh
> emacs.git repo without installing the pre-commit hooks.  When they are in
> place,
> the merge is prevented.  I haven't investigated why: there is some logic in
> ~/.git/hooks/pre-commit that supposedly nullifies the hook for merges.

Possible, every time I made changes to script, I had emacs repo hard
reset to upstream master. Maybe try that first?

That doesn't affect the hooks already commited to ~/.git/hooks
The reason we're getting bitten by this is because I'm using a "git worktree"
working tree which shared the ~/.git/ directory with the principal working tree.

I'll add a comment to the gist to warn about this pitfall.  Meanwhile, using a fresh
non-git-worktree clone also fixes it.

> Anyway, when the hook is laid to rest, the result is something like what I
> just uploaded to the scratch/eglot2emacs branch:
>
> This branch will probably be deleted and re-created frequently as we tweak
> the script.
> I hope that isn't a problem.  Stefan?

Excellente! And away we go....

Yes, thanks for kicking things off!