Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:12:17 +0000

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>>> I think having a "cheat sheet" like this would be useful.
>>
>> Calling it a "cheat sheet" sounds like a good idea.  I've added
>> `cheat-sheet' as an alias:
>
> Thanks, this looks great.  Some comments after testing it:
>
> - I think we should use `help-for-help-header' for the headlines, not
>   capitalize them, and align them with :align-to.

That can be done.

> - Should it be modal, like `C-h C-h'?
>
> - If not, I think it would be nice if you could remove it by typing "q"
>   again.
>
>   Perhaps point should be moved to the new buffer by default?  (But then
>   again, it doesn't do that with "*Help*" by default, sadly.)  So maybe
>   a repeat-map is appropriate?  Just some ideas.

That depends on how this is to be used.  Is this something a new user
would use to quickly peek if they don't know how to do something, or
should it serve as a permanent "cheat sheet" at the bottom of the screen
(sort of like Nano).

> - The keys should be linked to the corresponding command docstrings.

This can also be done.

> - Wishlist: It would be great if it had an optional vertical view,
>   perhaps that you could toggle with both a command and defcustom.
>   Perhaps the vertical view could even be the default if the window
>   width is too narrow to fit it all?

I was just thinking about this too.  I implemented this vertically,
which is more complicated, because that is what the mg fork did too, but
mg has no horizontal splits, so it had no choice.

> Also, some nits:
>
> - "other" should be "other win." or "other window".
>
> - "rev. search" should be "search backwards".
>
> - "replace" could be "search & replace" or "search&replace"

We can try this, my only concern is that this might use too much
horizontal space.