Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 14:26:40 +0000

I hadn't realised until now, but split-window-{right,below} actually already have a meaning for a negative prefix argument.

Indeed.

I don't know how we decide whether to usurp that with having it mean the command should affect the root window.

Note that the C-x w | and C-x w - that Stefan and I (at least) use solves that problem by circumventing it (and by putting the command on a key that is related to its meaning).

My own experience is likewise that I can't imagine ever using a prefix argument with split-window-{right,below}.

We agree on that point 😃