Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:29:53 +0300

>> Of course, it'd also be nice to bring together/closer the root and
>> non-root variants of those operations, but I have no good suggestion
>> here, other than to suggest to use a new command which doesn't accept
>> a numeric argument at all and only uses `C-u` to choose between a root
>> split and non-root split.  That's because I personally never use that
>> numeric argument, and prefer to resize the windows afterwards rather
>> than try to guess sizes beforehand.

The existing commands could use `C-u` to choose between root/non-root too.
Then there is no need to have a new command.

>     This seems especially important given that the -root-window-
>     commands are not going to see heavy use, compared with, e.g.,
>     fit-window-to-buffer (where C-x w - follows C-x -).
>
> (2) again given that the -root-window- commands will be rarely used, I
>     think the similarity with the existing commands will make 'C-x w 2'
>     and 'C-x w 3' easier to memorise / recall-with-effort.

Since they will be rarely used, they could be bound to a more consistent
key sequence 'C-x w r 2' and 'C-x w r 3' where "w r" means "window-root",
freeing 'C-x w 2' and 'C-x w 3' for other uses.