Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 21:29:00 +0100

On Thu, Sep 08 2022, Tomas Hlavaty wrote:

> On Wed 07 Sep 2022 at 22:51, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com>
>>> Second, tty emacs would need to somehow reserve rectangle for the image.
>>> This might be lots of work I guess.
>> The second part is the problem I'm talking about.  The other two are
>> much simpler to add, I think.
>
> Maybe the difficulty comes from the idea that tty emacs should somehow
> match GUI emacs capabilities when displaying images.
>
> The original use-case in this thread was using kitty terminal to view
> documents like doc-view or pdf-tools.  There is no need to implement

fwiw, as the OP, no, that's not the original use-case i had in mind,
only part of it.  i want also to be able to display images in documents
rendered by eww, or by chat clients such as telega or circe that have
excellent support for it.  i'd also like to use image dired in these
kind of terminals.  in fact, i almost never use a pure tty or the
console.  what this would allow me is to have the same functionality
working at once in X11 and Wayland without suffering the complexities of
more heavy-weight graphical libraries and toolkits.

of course, ymmv :)

jao