Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 20:30:39 +0200

On Wed 07 Sep 2022 at 22:51, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com>
>> Second, tty emacs would need to somehow reserve rectangle for the image.
>> This might be lots of work I guess.
> The second part is the problem I'm talking about.  The other two are
> much simpler to add, I think.

Maybe the difficulty comes from the idea that tty emacs should somehow
match GUI emacs capabilities when displaying images.

The original use-case in this thread was using kitty terminal to view
documents like doc-view or pdf-tools.  There is no need to implement
full GUI like graphics capabilities for that.  In emacs-framebuffer, I
simply use the dimensions and position of the buffer to display images
without changing any layouting in tty emacs.  Adding images to eww would
be more complex, but I guess the change could be to shr layouting
written in elisp instead of changing emacs C code.