Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 16:00:56 +0000

I detest anti-aliasing. It makes everything go blurred for me. Maybe that's a reason why I don't like these fonts.

Well, you can easily turn of anti-aliasing if that's what you prefer:

font-names=DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono:antialias=false

No, I don't know how to take a screen shot of a console.

You can use fbcat.

I don't know.  In any case, that seems to be a very minor problem.

It's not minor to me. Without GPM, I'd have to alter my workflow considerably.

Sorry, I don't use GPM. I'm pretty sure it's not hard to fix, however, the manpage of fbterm says "copy/past selected text between windows with mouse when gpm server is running", so it's something that should be feasible somehow.

I think you said earlier on in the thread that there were "no known inconveniences" with fbterm.

Yes, at that time there were no known inconveniences. Now there is (perhaps) a minor one with GPM.

By the way, if you don't want 256 colors and want to use only 8 colors as you did before, just don't set TERM=fbterm, or set TERM=linux.

Well, it's not just as before - as I said earlier, hi-green comes out as brown. That's the sort of thing I meant when I said that you had to configure faces.

I don't know what you do exactly, but here (with the latest master or emacs-28):

fbterm -- env TERM=fbterm emacs

uses 256 colors, and

fbterm -- env TERM=linux emacs

uses 8 colors.