Re: [ELPA] New package: Ement (Matrix client)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: Ement (Matrix client)
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 11:54:01 -0400

Payas Relekar [2022-09-02 20:23:38] wrote:
> Just a thought.  Since we already have IRC client in the core, it will be
> nice to have a well-maintained Matrix client in core as well.
> Any chance of that happening?  Thoughts?

I think adding packages to core Emacs is usually a bad idea unless it's
a package contributing to the general infrastracture of ELisp (or if
it's a package that's important for some ELisp package that's already in
core).

I think the plan/intention is rather to move things out of core.
To make up for it, the intention is then to provide a new mechanism to
"bundle" some GNU ELPA packages into the "default" build of Emacs.

        Stefan