Bundling ELPA packages (was: [ELPA] New package: Ement (Matrix client))

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Bundling ELPA packages (was: [ELPA] New package: Ement (Matrix client))
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 12:12:38 -0400

>> I think the plan/intention is rather to move things out of core.
>> To make up for it, the intention is then to provide a new mechanism to
>> "bundle" some GNU ELPA packages into the "default" build of Emacs.
> Well, assuming that happens, can Ement be considered for default
> bundling?

I don't think we will be able to answer that question before it
happens, sadly.  And that's been planned since ... Emacs-26 :-(

There's a branch in the `emacs.git` (I think it's
`feature/core-elpa-by-copy`) which attempts to do that, but IIRC it
needs a bit more work, and more importantly, it needs a clear support on
the part of the head maintainers (because this is a fairly big change in
terms of what it imposes on what you need to do to build "normal Emacs"
from Git).

        Stefan