Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 12:07:59 +0000

I couldn't find one.  I tried the following, but it didn't work:

(set-char-table-extra-slot glyphless-char-display 0 "�")

It didn't show the diamond (or, in my case, a character similar to a question mark in inverse video), which is the expected behavior according to the manual, but it didn't even show the diamond in a box (or square brackets), instead just a empty box appeared, which is unexpected.

Eli already explained (twice IIRC) that you can only use ASCII characters there, and that's also what the docstring of glyphless-char-display says: "its value should be an ASCII acronym string".