Re: wrap-search 3.3.5

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: wrap-search 3.3.5
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 21:17:59 +0200

Gregory Heytings wrote:

>> But that way that directory will also be copied to the
>> server since all of public_html is?
>
> Yes, that's not a problem, with the recipe you use to create
> the git repository, these files do not contain
> sensitive information.

No, but I have the master copy on the desktop and it's already
copied to the server, so there is or shouldn't be any need to
copy anything else between those.

>>> - add the subdirectories of ~/public_html/emacs-init-git to
>>> your load-path (for now that's only
>>> ~/public_html/emacs-init-git/wrap-search)
>>
>> Wait, we should not move around the original files and
>> start changing load paths of other applications, symlinks
>> are fine but other than that it should be a "git
>> only" solution.
>>
>> It is just another tool that should be adapted to the
>> problem, we are not adapting the problem again and again
>> for every new tool that anyone every thought of applying on
>> it ...
>
> I was thinking of a somewhat generic solution, in which your
> el files would stay in the same place

Good ...

> (~/public_html/emacs-init), and your el files under version
> control (Git) in a separate place
> (~/public_html/init-emacs-git).

That would be OK but that should be for git-only use if so, so
either symlinks (which didn't work last time) or an automated
copy.

> If it helps That being said, what I said above is perhaps
> not clear enough. I meant "add the subdirectories of
> ~/.emacs.d/<the link that points to
> ~/public_html/emacs-init-git>" to your load-path.

But this problem has nothing to do with Emacs so no changes to
Emacs or any other unrelated tool should be necessary.

> If you're more comfortable with replacing
> ~/public_html/emacs-init/wrap-search.el with a symlink to
> ~/git/wrap-search/wrap-search.el, do that.

No, for the same reason. The other way around would be OK tho.

> The main point is to have a single wrap-search.el file on
> your desktop.

Not following, I already have that?

--
underground experts united