Re: Horrible File menu

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Horrible File menu
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 10:13:04 +0200

>> So by default, even when you don't use frames, these items take much
>> space on the File menu:
>>
>>   (disabled) Delete frame
>>   (disabled) Undelete frame
>>   [X] Allow Undeleting Frames
>
> "Delete Frame" is not a recent development.  It's been there for a long
> time, along with New Frame and the various monitor and multi-tty related
> variants of that.

To make the menu shorter, does it make sense to hide "Delete frame"?
Especially the users who don't use frames would benefit from this.
Or at least not to show the disabled "Undelete frame" until
"Delete frame" changes to the enabled state.

>> These useless items are pushing off-screen other useful items
>> that are below them such as the Quit item and the Print submenu
>> with Print items that were originally on the File menu but were
>> moved to the submenu from the overgrowing menu.
>
> I find it hard to believe that two extra items "push offscreen" such
> important items as the Print menu and Quit.

What do you think about another variant to make the menu shorter:
to move frame items to the File>Frame submenu?

>> I don't understand what obstacle prevents from making this menu
>> more user-friendly?
>
> It already is user friendly.

No, it's not.  It requires the user to select the item "Allow Undeleting Frames"
on the "File" menu, then to select "Save Options" on the "Options" menu
to be able to occasionally undelete an accidentally deleted frame.

>> Are a few kilobytes of memory used by the deleted frame data a real
>> concern?
>
> Yes, which was discussed in detail in the discussion in the bug report.

This concern was recently addressed, this is why the discussion is reopened.