Re: Horrible new unsaved buffers dialog

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Horrible new unsaved buffers dialog
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 19:39:43 +0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg01754.htmlFrom:
> Phil Sainty> ...> The new dialog is unquestionably a lot simpler, but
> I don't> think that's a good thing.  If the reason for this change is>
> that other programs don't have "quit" dialogs which are useful> as the
> Emacs version, I don't think that's a good reason to> make the Emacs
> version less useful.  I would instead argue> that other programs would
> benefit from more useful dialogs.This argument is getting old, and not
> in a good way, wouldn't youagree?  Maybe it is wrong, and if it is
> not, this kind of elitismonly serves to drive others to alternatives.
> Thinking of Lisp also.> I think the original dialog could be improved
> by making it> more *sophisticated* by providing the user with an
> overview> of all the unsaved buffers, but IMO this extreme
> simplification> is a step backwards.Simplicity is the ultimate
> sophistication.  I don't believe toosimple is a thing, it is either
> simple, or dysfunctional iftoo simple.> The original dialog provided a
> streamlined way for the user> to do all the sorts of things which they
> will likely need> to do in this situation.  By removing those options
> you haven't> removed the user's need to do those things, but you've
> made> it harder for them to do it.You say streamlined, I say kitchen
> sink.

It is hard to tell what you have posted and what was written by Phil
when you quote like this.  Perhaps you are using webmail, and your
particular webmail service's option to turn off HTML mail is broken?

> This argument is getting old, and not in a good way, wouldn't you
> agree?  Maybe it is wrong, and if it is not, this kind of elitism only
> serves to drive others to alternatives.  Thinking of Lisp also.

FTR, I have no particular opinion on which one is better for everyone.

All I want is some way to get the old dialogs back.  The new dialogs
make it impossible to do anything useful with a mouse, except to hit
"cancel" while I look for my keyboard.