Re: Horrible new unsaved buffers dialog

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Horrible new unsaved buffers dialog
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 11:40:59 +0100 (CET)

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg01754.htmlFrom: Phil
Sainty> ...> The new dialog is unquestionably a lot simpler, but I don't> think
that's a good thing.  If the reason for this change is> that other programs
don't have "quit" dialogs which are useful> as the Emacs version, I don't think
that's a good reason to> make the Emacs version less useful.  I would instead
argue> that other programs would benefit from more useful dialogs.This argument
is getting old, and not in a good way, wouldn't youagree?  Maybe it is wrong,
and if it is not, this kind of elitismonly serves to drive others to
alternatives.  Thinking of Lisp also.> I think the original dialog could be
improved by making it> more *sophisticated* by providing the user with an
overview> of all the unsaved buffers, but IMO this extreme simplification> is a
step backwards.Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.  I don't believe
toosimple is a thing, it is either simple, or dysfunctional iftoo simple.> The
original dialog provided a streamlined way for the user> to do all the sorts of
things which they will likely need> to do in this situation.  By removing those
options you haven't> removed the user's need to do those things, but you've
made> it harder for them to do it.You say streamlined, I say kitchen sink.