Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:30:10 +0000

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

>>> Are there other benchmarks (not micro-benchmarks) that could be
>>> used to reach what you would consider a mature conclusion?
>>
>> There is Andrea Corallo's elisp-benchmark package.
>>

> It's a micro-benchmark, and moreover it is difficult to interpret, its
> results on the same (unloaded) machine with the same version of Emacs
> vary by +/- 5%.

Hi Gregory,

if your system is noisy you can increase `elb-runs' to an higher value,
in the results an estimation of the error anyway is given (probably more
reliable with ~ elb-runs >= 5?).

That said yes, is a suite of micro benchmarks but it's better than
nothing.  Actually it would be *very* interesting to add to
elisp-benchmark a micro benchmark capable of stressing exactly this
supposed performance regression.  It would really help understanding the
(observed?) slowdown.

Initially when the branch was proposed I tried quickly to do that but I
failed, maybe I was rushing due to lack of time and overlooked something
or maybe except for the compilation phase the slowdown is really
minimal, dunno.  I encourage you to try my same experiment, if you find
an interesting case we'll add it to the suite.

Thanks

  Andrea