Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 14:26:11 +0200

> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 08:59:00 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: mattiase@acm.org, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>     monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, acm@muc.de
>
> I think you understood what I meant: bytecode execution in Emacs is now,
> on average, about 10% slower.  Are there other benchmarks (not
> micro-benchmarks) that could be used to reach what you would consider a
> mature conclusion?

I think we need more measurements in scenarios closer to actual Emacs
usage.  One is intensive display operation -- I think Alan posted
something to that effect.  Another could be starting Gnus to read a
large newsgroup.  Yet another could be reindent a large piece of C or
Python or Lisp code.  Perhaps also "M-x occur" through a large
buffer.  Stuff like that -- any command that tends to be used
frequently and is known to take a tangible amount of time.