Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:41:49 +0000

Hello, Brahimi.

Sorry it's taken time to get back to you.  I got distracted from this
matter by another project (speeding up the bootstrap build).

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 13:45:25 -0300, Brahimi Saifullah wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> > I don't actually use Flymake mode.  Could you possibly give me a recipe
> > to reproduce the bug, then either João or I can fix it.

> Sure.

> emacs -Q
> M-x flymake-mode
> Type anything.

Thanks.  That was helpful.

> I've also further tracked down the issue to `byte-compile-log-warning':

>     (defun byte-compile-log-warning (string &optional fill level)
>       "Log a byte-compilation warning.
>     STRING, FILL and LEVEL are as described in
>     `byte-compile-log-warning-function', which see."
>       (funcall byte-compile-log-warning-function
>                string nil
>                fill   ^^^
>                level))

Thanks!  Hey, why aren't you on the team?  ;-)

> The highlighted part used to be `byte-compile-last-position',
> but it was replaced with nil. The default byte compile log warning
> function  doesn't make use of that value (which is why you wouldn't
> ordinarily notice it's amiss), but Flymake's function does.

I've amended the function such that POSITION is no longer an &optional
parameter, to help other people avoid falling into the same trap.  In
place of that nil, I now give a proper position (I hope).

With the current state of the git branch, flymake on a .el file now
seems to be working for me.

I've committed the fix (along with a few other amendments) and I'd be
grateful indeed if you could take another look at it.  I'm hoping to
merge it into master very soon indeed.

Again, many thanks for the help.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).