Re: Letter-case conversions in network protocols

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Letter-case conversions in network protocols
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 10:21:58 +0100

Fatih Aydin <fataydin138@gmail.com> writes:

> There is still a weird problem, not with network protocols but still in eww.
> Run eww and visit Google and check non-ASCII chars, you will see the chars
> correctly. No problems.
> The bug is:
> 1) Set language environment to Turkish
> 2) Visit www.google.com.tr
> 3) Try to search something, or just observe the buttons
> You will see that some chars are displayed as \345. It's weird because I have
> tried
> other websites, it just happens with Google.

As far as I can tell, it's because the Google web site returns invalid
data.  It's not returning utf-8 but a different charset, but the headers
claim that it's utf-8.  I've seen this before with various Google web
sites -- they return other data when not using Chrome/Firefox, and that
data is often invalid.