Re: Letter-case conversions in network protocols

From: Fatih Aydin
Subject: Re: Letter-case conversions in network protocols
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:41:18 +0300

There is still a weird problem, not with network protocols but still in eww.
Run eww and visit Google and check non-ASCII chars, you will see the chars correctly. No problems.
The bug is:
1) Set language environment to Turkish
2) Visit www.google.com.tr
3) Try to search something, or just observe the buttons
You will see that some chars are displayed as \345. It's weird because I have tried other websites, it just happens with Google.

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 10:46 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

> Of course, code can still be broken if people explicitly do its own
> thing with `downcase', etc. instead of using the case-folding string
> APIs, but that's sort of an anti-pattern, anyway.

But code does this sort of thing -- for instance, Message allows headers
to be specified in various ways, but will run the header names trough
`capitalize'.

So this isn't just about doing comparisons, but separating out text
transformations that are done according to a protocol specification
(i.e., octets that happen to be ASCII) vs. the normal DWIM text
transformations.