Re: Collecting completion candidates from multiple files

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Collecting completion candidates from multiple files
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 00:19:05 +0100

Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> is there a standard facility and/or user interface to collect
> completion candidates from multiple files composing a project?
>
> I'm developing a mode for a language that has an "include" facility
> and I would like to support collecting completion candidates from the
> definitions contained in all the files that compose a project,
> independently of whether the current buffer has an explicit "include"
> directive or not.

The standard facility provided by Emacs is based on the hook
completion-at-point-functions, that each major mode can customize to
provide appropriate completion on the text in Emacs buffers.

Eval the following form in Emacs to read more about the completion API:

(info "(elisp) Completion in Buffers")