Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-w

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:27:55 +0300

* xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
[2022-01-11 15:08]:
> Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg00794.html
> > At the end of the day, this seems like a non-problem driven by a
> > belief/ideology that mixing user and auto-generated code is so wrong it
> > has to be eliminated. If there was evidence of significant adverse
> > impact to users due to this practice, change would be warranted.
> > However, as it now stands, I cannot see how such change can be
> > justified.
>
> All arguments against Drew's proposals so far converge at "it is better
> to do nothing."  Why not propose something even better?  Throwing "where
> is your evidence?" around is easy, but one must consider we are far from
> the domain of scientific method here, or of law.  Is existence of people
> on Emacs related forums suggesting setting custom-file to /dev/null as a
> good solution evidence enough?  How about split of early-init/creation
> of straight.el?  What you call "belief/ideology" is known as intuition,
> and it is the primary force behind any successful software.  Or any
> kind of invention, really.  If only concern is the cost of change, why
> not produce arguments for how to reduce that cost or to find a way
> forward?

A girl I know here uses frequently Emacs and she is 3 years. She likes
large letters and cannot read. For her is important to enlarge letters
and to type on keyboard. She does not know what letters and numbers
mean. I can tell she is new user of Emacs.

It would be great for this new user to enable C-x-+ to and C-x-- to be
easier accessible (text-scale-adjust INC) and thus I propose to
include the text scale option into any setup wizards to come, in easy
way.

The way how I have see it in the setup-wizard.el is too complicated. I
rather expect something like using + and - to set the default font
size so that young people can easier get along.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman